Your typical Amishman distrusts the American way of life. Your typical Amishman is a kindly, gentle person and when he finds himself under enemy attack he loves nothing better than to turn the other cheek. Your typical Amishman”—here Benny caught sight of the tab floating in a pool of water near his former milk shake—“much like the rest of us, occasionally needs to purge himself of nasty fluids.” And at this he left for the men’s room. Bright rescued the tab from drowning and went to the register and paid. Benny returned. Checking for eyewitnesses and finding none, he swept a scattering of small coins from the top of an unattended table and then sauntered over to his former booth and distributed them among the empty plates and cups. After completing this exchange, he joined his boss at the door. “I got the tip,” he announced, lighting a Nico cigar. § Dennis Bright, Benny Good, and Nico were back in Bright’s office, where Bright and Good continued their discussion while Nico described circles in the air. “Okay, Benny, it’s ‘Religion Talk’ or it’s nothing.” “Could you explain the difference?” “Listen, you got the gift. You can take it back on the road, or you can put it under this tree called ‘Religion Talk.’” “I move we go with ‘Truck Talk,’” said Benny. “Do I hear a second? Second. The motion has been seconded. Discussion? Question. The question has been called for. All those in favor, say Aye. Aye. Those opposed, speak up or forever hold your peace. A moment of silence. The motion passes. ‘Truck Talk’ it is, with Benny Good as your host.” Bright stared hard at his employee. “What’ve you got against religion, Benny?” “I’m afraid we’re running out of time, Dennis. I’d like to thank you for being my guest.” Benny leaned over and offered his boss a hand in a mock gesture of parting. Bright ignored the hand. “What’ve you got against religion?” Benny removed a large handkerchief from the pocket of his shorts and dabbed insincerely at his eyes. “I had an unfortunate experience as a child.” “Yeah?” “The Amish made me eat shoo-fly pie till I escaped and converted to a religion based on apple pie.” “You’re kidding. What religion was that?” “The name escapes me. All I remember is spending evenings in a church, rolling around on the floor.” “You were a Holy Roller?” “Is that what they’re called?” “Did you speak in tongues?” “Mostly English. But I scattered a few German phrases here and there, just to show my solidarity with the cause.” “Seriously, Benny. You left the Amish and joined the Holy Rollers?” “Only because of my love of apple pie.” §
Your typical Amishman distrusts the American way of life. Your typical Amishman is a kindly, gentle person and when he finds himself under enemy attack he loves nothing better than to turn the other cheek. Your typical Amishman”—here Benny caught sight of the tab floating in a pool of water near his former milk shake—“much like the rest of us, occasionally needs to purge himself of nasty fluids.” And at this he left for the men’s room. Bright rescued the tab from drowning and went to the register and paid. Benny returned. Checking for eyewitnesses and finding none, he swept a scattering of small coins from the top of an unattended table and then sauntered over to his former booth and distributed them among the empty plates and cups. After completing this exchange, he joined his boss at the door. “I got the tip,” he announced, lighting a Nico cigar. § Dennis Bright, Benny Good, and Nico were back in Bright’s office, where Bright and Good continued their discussion while Nico described circles in the air. “Okay, Benny, it’s ‘Religion Talk’ or it’s nothing.” “Could you explain the difference?” “Listen, you got the gift. You can take it back on the road, or you can put it under this tree called ‘Religion Talk.’” “I move we go with ‘Truck Talk,’” said Benny. “Do I hear a second? Second. The motion has been seconded. Discussion? Question. The question has been called for. All those in favor, say Aye. Aye. Those opposed, speak up or forever hold your peace. A moment of silence. The motion passes. ‘Truck Talk’ it is, with Benny Good as your host.” Bright stared hard at his employee. “What’ve you got against religion, Benny?” “I’m afraid we’re running out of time, Dennis. I’d like to thank you for being my guest.” Benny leaned over and offered his boss a hand in a mock gesture of parting. Bright ignored the hand. “What’ve you got against religion?” Benny removed a large handkerchief from the pocket of his shorts and dabbed insincerely at his eyes. “I had an unfortunate experience as a child.” “Yeah?” “The Amish made me eat shoo-fly pie till I escaped and converted to a religion based on apple pie.” “You’re kidding. What religion was that?” “The name escapes me. All I remember is spending evenings in a church, rolling around on the floor.” “You were a Holy Roller?” “Is that what they’re called?” “Did you speak in tongues?” “Mostly English. But I scattered a few German phrases here and there, just to show my solidarity with the cause.” “Seriously, Benny. You left the Amish and joined the Holy Rollers?” “Only because of my love of apple pie.” §
تعليقات
إرسال تعليق